Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What do you eat when you have no appetite?

It's the younger sister again and I just had to post what I made tonight because it was freaking delicious and came together so nicely.

The past few days I have felt slightly under the weather. Not quite sick, just not quite right either. A general malaise, if you will. I have been slightly nauseated and just out of it. This feeling has made me entirely lose my appetite and I have only been eating when my stomach reminds me that I am hungry. Well Karin and I had made out a menu plan for the whole week so I decided to stick to it, regardless of how "blah" I felt.

I happened to have a Bison sirloin steak in the freezer that was big enough for two people (another delicious freebie from work) and had an idea to make something simple, hearty and delicious with it.

Bison is much leaner than regular beef and has a more meaty flavor, in my opinion. It is a delicious meat that makes a great substitute for plain old cow meat. Because of it's leanness you need to be very careful that you don't overcook bison, as it will get tough and dry. It's a bit pricier than beef, so I only have it occasionally. I felt this was a great way to utilize the small steak I had. Once again I didn't think to take pictures, which is a real shame. I truly wish there was a way for me to capture smells and put them on the web for you, because the aroma was amazing. It brought my appetite back in a big way!

Bring on the Philly cheese steak!


Ingredients:
6 oz Bison Sirloin Steak, cut into 1/2 inch strips (cut against the grain for best texture)
1 med Red Bell Pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 med Yellow Bell Pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
1 med White onion, cut in half then cut into 1/4 strips, separate the half rings
2 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
4 slices Provolone cheese
2 large deli rolls or sub sandwich rolls, cut almost in half lengthwise
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Heat oil in a large skillet or saute pan saute over medium high heat, add onion. Cook onion until it starts to brown on edges (caramelize.) Toss in the steak strips and cook thoroughly. The meat and onions should finish at about the same time. When the meat has no pink showing throw in the peppers and cover with a lid. Cook for about a minute. Open lid and separate the filling evenly into two piles. Cover each pile with two slices of cheese and lay the sandwich rolls open side down on top of that. Cover again. After another minute or so the cheese will have melted onto the bread and oozed into the filling and the rolls will be nicely steamed. Flip the rolls out onto waiting plates and pile in the filling. Now stick that in your mouth and enjoy!

Oh....my...god.....These sandwiches were amazing. Perhaps it was my empty stomach, maybe it was the beauty of the finished product or maybe it was the astounding aroma, but whatever it was I ate every bite of this sandwich. No guarantee that my appetite will stick around, but if this sandwich "cured" me I wouldn't be surprised.

Next up: Thanksgiving Menu Preview

No comments:

Post a Comment