Friday, July 30, 2010

This corn will make you say "Olé!"

Mexican Grilled Corn

I have heard of this dish many times and have been meaning to try it for a couple of years now. Tonight I finally stopped putting it off. I am so glad I finally tried it. What a refreshing and unique way to take advantage of summer's bounty.
Sweet corn is plentiful in Utah in late July and one can only eat so much buttered corn on the cob. The flavors of this Mexican style grilled corn are a great change of pace.
"Elote" incorporates lime, chili, mayonnaise and cheese in an explosion of taste, I was left wanting more corn on which to spread this delightful concoction.
I "stole" this recipe from another blog, Foodblogga

Elote, or Mexican Grilled Corn
Serves 4

4 ears sweet corn
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon lime juice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper of chile powder
salt, to taste
2/3 cup crumbled cotija anejo cheese
lime wedges
extra cayenne pepper of chile powder, for sprinkling
fresh finely chopped cilantro for optional garnish

Soak corn (in husks) in cold water for 25-30 minutes.
Prepare a medium-hot grill. Peel back the corn husks leaving them attached at the end. Remove the silk. Pull the husks back up and tie with a spare piece of husk or a small piece of cooking twine. Place the ears on the grill. Cook 20-25 minutes, turning several times to ensure even roasting. The kernels should be soft when fully cooked.
If you’d like the kernels more charred, then simply follow the above instructions, but cook in husks for 15 minutes only. Then cool ears slightly, pull back the husks (to use as handles) and place the ears directly on the grill (with husks overhanging the side) for 5-7 minutes, or until they reach desired level of charring.
Place crumbled cheese on a plate large enough to fit an ear of corn. In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise, lime juice, cayenne pepper or chile powder, and salt. When the corn is cooked, brush each ear with some mayo sauce then roll in the cheese. Serve with lime wedges, additional cayenne pepper or chile powder, and fresh finely chopped cilantro.

Cotija cheese is a fresh, mild cheese often used in Mexican cuisine. It crumbles easily, like feta, and has a salty, but mellow flavor. I like it on tacos, salads and of course, this corn. I left out the cilantro, as my sister doesn't care for it, but I intend to try it next time. 
As anyone who knows me can tell you, I greatly dislike mayonnaise, but I found I had to slather it on the corn in order for the cheese to stick. With all the flavors and textures involved I was able to ignore the usual "mayonnaise gag" and didn't have a problem eating it. 
I would like to try this over a charcoal fire some time to see if it tweaks the flavor in any way.


This was but the first post in many to come on my revised blog, check back often! Lessa

1 comment:

  1. Damn, that looks good. I think Erik would love it.

    ReplyDelete