Monday, August 30, 2010

Easy Weeknight Curry

Curries are one of my favorite foods. They are so full of flavor and color and aroma I just can't resist. Curries can also be very involved or very simple. The other night I made a very easy 30 minute curry and I wanted to share with you all. I did this as more of a coconut korma style with the addition of coconut milk and it turned out so creamy and delicious. These were all ingredients we had on hand in our kitchen and the recipe just formed as I cooked, so there are not really any exact measurements.


Lessa's Wednesday Night Chicken Curry (feeds 4, or 2 with leftovers)
2 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. mustard seed (I used brown for a more pungent flavor)
1 tsp. cumin seed
1 tsp. coriander seed
1 small onion, diced
1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts, cubed
1 can drained chickpeas (garbanzo beans)

2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
1/4 c. blanched unsalted peanuts 
1/2 tsp Kosher salt


3 Tbsp. curry powder (red or yellow, I used yellow madras curry powder)
1 can lite coconut milk

In a large saute or sauce pan heat the oil over medium heat. When shimmering add the seeds and toast lightly. When the cumin seeds start to pop, add the diced onion. Cook until soft then add the chicken, garlic, ginger  and chickpeas. When the chicken is no longer pink add the salt, peanuts and curry powder. Stir to incorporate the curry powder. Add the whole can of coconut milk, stir and let simmer for 20 minutes.

I suggest serving over Basmati or Jasmine rice and with naan, if you have it. It's kind of monochromatic so a side salad would complement it well.
I love Indian food. Looks like vomit, tastes like heaven.

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks AMAZING. I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete