Sunday, October 10, 2010

Easy Black Bean Burgers

Two posts in a week, aren't you lucky? I had to post this recipe because I thought I had already posted it at some point, but apparently I never did. I should have shared it the first time I made these, as these burgers are moist, flavorful and so easy to make. This dish is vegetarian, although not vegan (eggs are used). These burgers also freeze incredibly well and can be reheated in minutes for an easy and tasty weeknight meal. I have even made burrito-like wraps from one of these patties, cut into pieces, and wrapped in a tortilla.
While ideal for summer, these burgers cook best on a skillet or griddle, so they are quite good in the winter as well. Serve them like you would any burger: on a  nice bun with lettuce, tomato, cheese, pickles, mayo, mustard, ketchup, even salsa. I have found that a soft potato bun or a good chewy ciabatta bun is good with these burgers and I quite like them topped with salsa. Served with a side of oven fries and spicy ketchup(ketchup mixed with your favorite hot sauce) or "fry sauce"(ketchup and mayo mixed together) you have a classic meal. Have I teased you enough?

BLACK BEAN BURGERS (recipe from Weight Watchers "Down to Earth" vegetarian cookbook)
3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 3/4 cups diced onion
1 1/2 cups uncooked regular oats
3/4 cups chopped cilantro (optional)
2 Tbsp.(or to taste, I do about 1/4 cup) seeded, minced jalapenos (or your favorite spicy pepper. I like Serranos)
3/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 all purpose flour
1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided

Place beans in a large bowl and coarsely mash with a fork (I like to use my hands). Add onion, oats, cilantro (if using), peppers, salt and eggs; mix well. Shape mixture into 8 patties (1/4 lb. each). Combine flour and corn meal in a shallow pie plate or dish, stir well. Dredge the patties in the cornmeal mixture. (You can freeze the patties at this point or wait until after they are cooked. Just wrap individually in foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray)

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 4 patties and cook 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove and repeat with remaining oil and patties.

Assemble and dress your burgers however you like

I like a bit more heat than some people so I like to add extra peppers, as well as different assortments of peppers. This time around I did 3 serranos, 2 red jalapenos and 2 large green jalapenos. Came to about 1/2 cup peppers, I think. I also pureed the peppers with the onion in the food processor before adding to the beans, this gave a more even distribution of the peppers. By far the most flavorful batch of these I have made. I like the cilantro in the burgers, but many people detest the earthy herb, so I usually leave it out for my sister's sake.
Please enjoy and feel free to get back to me with any suggestions or comments you have about my recipes. I would love it if some of my vegan readers tried these with tofu or perhaps vegetable oil in place of the eggs for binding.

No comments:

Post a Comment