Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I am never buying teriyaki sauce again!

You heard me. I will never again purchase teriyaki sauce. I just made the best tasting sauce ever and I wish you all could taste it through the internet. Teriyaki sauce is pretty basic, it turns out and I can't believe I have been buying it all my life. I hope I can encourage all of you to make your own from here on out.

Alessa's Sweet and Spicy Teriyaki
(All measurements are approximate)
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1 Tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 cup pineapple chunks (fresh is preferred, but canned is fine if drained)

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan, stir until sugar is dissolved.  Cook over medium high heat until boiling, then lower heat and let simmer until thickened. Adjust seasonings as needed to get the flavor you want. When it coats the back of a spoon it is ready to be used.
Use as a marinade, a basting sauce, a condiment, there are so many possibilities!! Last night we used it as a marinade for chicken breasts and basted grilled pineapple with it, then served that all over rice with additional sauce. Next I am thinking Teriyaki Bison Burgers or Teriyaki Tofu. Enjoy these photos of our delicious teriyaki dinner:

No comments:

Post a Comment