Monday, May 24, 2010

Lessa says "Grow your own!"

So we haven't posted anything in a while, life has been a little hectic and the food has been fairly uneventful. However I did want to post about a little experiment I am trying out: an apartment garden.
Karin and I live in a second floor apartment and do not have any green space to call our own. I decided to do a little research and find out if I could grown any vegetables we eat in pots on our deck. Turns out there are quite a few vegetable plants that will grow in small spaces. Dwarf beans, some squashes, tomatoes and peppers were just some of the varieties I found.
Here's a problem though: our family is cursed with a black thumb. I alone have killed multiple cacti and other houseplants. Growing my own is going to be quite a challenge. I decided to start small with tomatoes and bell peppers. If I can succeed with these maybe next year I will add another veggie, or some herbs.
I planted small starter tomatoes about 3 weeks ago and they are growing like mad! All 4 of my plants already have buds on them. Unfortunately the weather has been rather uncooperative in Salt Lake the past few days (snow today!) and the little guys are now sitting inside the kitchen rather than out on the deck. I hope to put them back out tomorrow as the sun comes out of hiding.
I just planted some pepper plants this last week and they seem to be doing fine, but I understand they take a little longer to mature than tomatoes. I am doing my best to not over-water the seedlings and am getting them as much sun as possible with a west facing deck. Here are a few pictures of the current situation ( yes that is a Topsy-Turvy):
I will keep you updated on whether or not they survive. If they do work out, we might need help eating all the bounty!

1 comment:

  1. So pretty! I'm glad they are working out. They look incredibly healthy.

    ReplyDelete